overcome your anxiety
If you have a fear of going to the dentist, you’re not alone. Dental anxiety is a recognised issue for many people, and one that we’re well used to coming across at Headrow Dental.
An underlying fear of dental treatment can often stem from a previous bad experience and it might mean you’re reluctant to book in for regular check-ups or to have treatment. But being a nervous patient shouldn’t get in the way of your dental health. It’s never too late to improve your oral health, and we have a number of ways we can help you overcome your anxiety.
Our dentists are experienced in treating nervous patients. We’ll make sure that from the moment you arrive at the practice, we’ll provide the help you need to make your visit as easy-going and stress-free as possible.
You may find treatment easier if you have some form of sedation. Dental sedation doesn’t put you to sleep like a general anaesthetic but instead, puts you into a deeply relaxed state. So you are still conscious and able to talk with your dentist.
The most common forms of sedation are;
- Intravenous (IV) sedation, where a sedative is injected into your vein.
We have a number of options alongside sedation, to help you overcome your dental fear including:
- Relaxation techniques
- Making sure that teeth are completely free of feeling before starting treatment
- Techniques for distraction, such as bringing your own music or e-books
- Strategies to help with the negative conversations you have with yourself that can cause anxiety to worsen
- A tour of the practice before you commit to treatment, to put you at ease and meet the team
If you are nervous about seeing the dentist, please contact us and tell the reception staff about your concerns; we have the tools and experience to help you overcome your anxiety.